Saturday, June 29, 2013

Space shuttle


This pic of an imaginary space shuttle, with engines for the atmosphere and a rocket for low space entry.

Not so unlikely.  Virgin Galactic will shortly start flying wealthy torurists into space.  Admittedly not for more than a few minutes at a time.  But space.  Really and truly. And remember, before the first World War, a transatlantic ship passage cost more than the average annual income of people in the richest country in the world, Great Britain.  The $200,000 cost of a trip on the Virgin Atlantic One is a few times larger than average GDP of the rich countries.  But like chips and solar power, its cost will fall fast.  I won't travel in space (and from a boy I hoped I would) but my kids will.

I must get back to writing my SF novel, Gift of Dragons.

Sigh.

No comments: